The war is not only on the front and certainly not only by using weapons. The war is also in the information front, on social media. We alread know that not from the stories or book, but from our own experience. The war is also in the home front: the volunteers, support groups, psychologists, bloggers, in a word, all of us are part of the war.
All the wars in the history of mankind have been accompanied by propaganda, information warfare, where the main goal was to spread panic in the enemy's positions and especially in the home front.
And who is more likely to panic? People who can`t get out of stress or manage it, people who lose emotional stability, as a result of which they lose sobriety and objective judgment.
Stress and tension are normal during the war. Mixed emotions, simultanious oppression and excitement are normal during the war. We can not avoid also anxiety and panic. But it is important to relax the body, restore emotional stability, reduce anxiety, fight on our personal front to overcome panic.
What do we need to do?
We all know what is the stress and how we feel, when we are in a stress. Some of us also know some techiques to overcome the stress. I would like to add that exercises such as exploring the enviroinment of focusing on the breath can help you to overcome the stress.
A few deep breaths in and out through the mouth perfectly calms the body, relieves tension, even calms the mind and emotions. After breathing you can now look around, pay attention to the objects around you and shift attention from one to another. This will calm you down, too.
In case of anxiety, when there is a constant fear and tension, specify the target of your fear. What are you afraid of? What is the worst thing that can scare you? What steps can you take against it? When you specify the target of your fear, the anxiety disappears. When you know exactly what you are afraid of, you can plan and take action, overcome the fear.
Unlike the stress and anxiety we had during the coronavirus, today in the war we feel strong aggression, rage and a sense of revenge. In addition, the enemy is taking targeted steps to spread panic. If you suddenly feel intense, strong anxiety և fear, then you may be in a panic. How can you know that you have a panic attack?
- You feel like you are losing control
- You sweat, you tremble
- There is no air to breathe or breathing too fast
- You feel sick and weak.
This may take 5-30 minutes. But remember it is not dangerous and it can`t harm you.
What can we do to prevent the panic or to recover from it?
- try to talk about your emotions and feelings with your friend, familty member, psychologist or life coach.
- do calming breathing exercises.
- do physical exercises - running, walking, swimming or yoga - whatever you are used to.
- keep a consistent sleep schedule. If your thoughts doesn`t allow you to sleep, don`t read new information at least 30 minutes before bedtime. Instead you can listen to the soothing music, take a warm bath. Remember that one is most likely to panic, when he hasn`t slept.
- keep your eating routine to save your energy. A hungry person is nervous և dissatisfied. If you are hungry your brain will direct the remaining energy to provide the physiological functions necessary for survival. As a result of it you will lose common sense. Then you will be a proper target for the panic.
- join the psychological or coaching groups where people talk to each other about the same issue.
- you can listen to the relaxing music or mindfulness meditations.
What not to do?
- do not try to do everything at once. Set small goals that you can easily achieve.
- do not focus on things that you cannot change, that are not under your control. Concentrate your time and energy on helping yourself feel better or doing the things you do well. If you feel guilty that soldiers are being killed at the border and you are living at their own expense, remember that you help greatly by maintaining your mental and emotional stability, recovering from stress and not panicing. Be sure that it helps to reduce the number of casualties on the battlefield and to win the war. You can also join the volunteer groups to support the home front.
- do not avoid situations that bother you. Try to gradually increase the time spent in anxious situations. This will help to gradually reduce the perception of anxiety.
- try not to use alcohol, tobacco, or drugs to alleviate anxiety, as they can damage your mental health.
We all know that we must follow and share only official information. But why do we see various unofficial news on our newsfeeds? Because we lose mental and emotional stability, thus preparing fertile ground for panic?
Each of us must take steps to approach victory in this war while maintaining our mental stability. It is possible to do gradually, not by suppressing our emotions and thoughts, but by talking about them and expressing them, not by staying sleepless and hungry, but by keeping the sleeping and eating regime.